America’s first-ever self-service grocery store, Piggly Wiggly, is credited with revolutionizing the entire grocery industry. It pioneered many contemporary features and services– open shelves, price tagging of all store goods, and refrigerated containers to keep groceries fresh for longer– which American shoppers enjoy nowadays.
Since its inception over a century ago in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1916, Piggly Wiggly has earned a significant following among Southerners. It is famed for stocking its aisles with unrivaled quality locally sourced goods. Currently, Piggly Wiggly has more than 530 store locations spread across 17 U.S. States. They are predominantly located in the Southeast but can also be found as far north as Wisconsin.
Finding a Piggly Wiggly store that accepts SNAP EBT is a blessing for all Southerners who receive food assistance under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). In this article, you will find all you need to know about making EBT payments at your local Piggly Wiggly store.
Does Piggly Wiggly Accept SNAP EBT Payments?
Yes, Piggly Wiggly accepts SNAP EBT for in-store purchases at all its participating store locations in the United States. Piggly Wiggly also accepts SNAP EBT for online delivery in selected stores in Georgia and North Carolina. To accept EBT SNAP benefits as payment, your local Piggly Wiggly store must be a USDA-approved Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) retailer.
Piggly Wiggly primarily operates in the Southern states, including Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, South Carolina, Tennessee, Minnesota, and Mississippi. All Piggly Wiggly stores are privately owned and operated. It implies that each store is entirely in charge of its operations, customer service, and product pricing. Subsequently, each store location must be separately approved by the USDA to become a SNAP retailer.
Click here to view a list of all Piggly Wiggly store locations and their contact information arranged by state. You can contact your local Piggly Wiggly store to check if it is a USDA-authorized SNAP retailer.
What Can You Buy With Your SNAP EBT at Piggly Wiggly?
The SNAP program assists qualified individuals and families in meeting their nutritional needs. EBT SNAP benefits can be used to purchase nutritionally labeled food items. Due to USDA restrictions, SNAP recipients can only purchase qualifying food products with their food benefits at a Piggly Wiggly store. The eligible items are as follows:
- Fruit and vegetables (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- Milk and dairy products such as cheese and yogurt
- Bread, cereals, and granola bars
- Packed grains, rice, and beans
- Packed and dry pasta
- Meats and seafood
- Bakery goods such as cookies, pies, and cakes
- Chocolate and candy
- Packed snacks such as chips, popcorn, nuts, and crackers
- Oils and vinegar
- Jellies, sauces and condiments
- Herbs, spices, and seasonings
- Tea and coffee
- Juices, sodas, and energy drinks
- Drink mixers
- Ice cream and other frozen desserts
- Bottled water
What Can You Not Buy With Your SNAP EBT at Piggly Wiggly?
SNAP recipients cannot use their EBT benefits to purchase every product sold at an authorized Piggly Wiggly store. The USDA has placed certain restrictions on SNAP purchases to discourage SNAP recipients from spending their food benefits frivolously on unnecessary purchases. As a result, you will require an additional payment method to pay for SNAP-ineligible purchases.
The following items sold at Piggly Wiggly do not qualify for SNAP:
- Hot and prepared foods for immediate consumption
- Alcoholic drinks such as beer, wine, and spirits
- Cigarettes and other tobacco products
- Medicines, vitamins, and other dietary supplements
- Pet food
- Baby food
- Personal care products
- Toiletries and household supplies
- Other non-food items
How To Use a SNAP EBT Card at a Piggly Wiggly Store?
You can use the USDA’s EBT Retailer Locator to find a nearby SNAP-authorized Piggly Wiggly store. Otherwise, you can call your local Piggly Wiggly store to verify its status as a USDA-authorized SNAP retailer.
Next, follow these simple steps to pay at a Piggly Wiggly store with your SNAP EBT card:
- Pick out the groceries you want to buy and head to the checkout lane. Depending on the store guidelines, you may need to segregate your SNAP-eligible items from non-SNAP-eligible items.
- The cashier will ring up your order at the checkout. After that, you can give your EBT card to the cashier or swipe it yourself at the point-of-sale (POS) machine.
- To complete the transaction, enter your four-digit EBT PIN on the keypad. Then, press Enter.
- The cashier will charge your EBT card for all SNAP-eligible items in your cart. Click on the OK or YES option to confirm the payment.
- In some cases, the cashier will request to see your photo ID to confirm that the card is in your name.
- Once the payment is processed, you will receive a printed receipt that includes the store’s name and address, the total cost of your order, and your remaining SNAP EBT account balance.
- Finally, you can use an additional payment method, such as a credit/debit card or cash, to cover the cost of all the SNAP ineligible groceries.
Note: In case of any problem with your SNAP EBT card, call your state’s EBT Customer Service Number.
Does Piggly Wiggly Accept SNAP EBT for Online Delivery Orders?
Yes, Piggly Wiggly accepts SNAP EBT for online delivery orders, but only in its participating stores in the states of Georgia and North Carolina. It has partnered with Instacart to provide its shoppers who receive food assistance the convenience of same-day grocery delivery. Although, Instacart does not accept EBT cash.
You can use the Piggly Wiggly Store Locator to find a store that offers Instacart delivery near you.
Your SNAP food benefits cannot be utilized to pay additional expenses like shipping costs, tipping, or shopping fees. Therefore, you will need to pay cash or use an alternative payment method to cover these additional costs for your delivery orders.
How To Order Online Delivery with EBT from Piggly Wiggly?
To order delivery for SNAP-eligible groceries from Piggly Wiggly on Instacart, follow these simple steps:
- Log in to your account on the Instacart website (or mobile app). You must sign up for a new account if you are a first-time user.
- On the location tab, use your current location or enter your ZIP code to find a participating Piggly Wiggly store in your area. You can also input the address of a nearby store directly.
- Add the groceries you want to buy to your shopping cart. When browsing groceries from the Store Homepage, click on an item to check if it is eligible for EBT SNAP. It will display ‘EBT’ above the price of the eligible items.
- Once done building your order, click on the Cart icon and schedule your delivery at your preferred time slot. You can schedule delivery for within an hour, the same day, or week at your convenience. The Instacart delivery window opens at 9 am and closes at midnight. However, delivery hours are dependent on store working hours, including holidays.
- Review your cart before checking out. Click on the Cart icon to confirm which items in your order are eligible for EBT SNAP. You can also verify your order total, edit quantities, or remove items from the cart.
- Click the green Checkout button to proceed.
- After checking out, select EBT SNAP as your method of payment and enter your EBT card details. Also, enter a supplementary payment method, such as a debit or credit card, to cover any ineligible SNAP items in your cart or any other extra charges. Alternatively, you can go to your Account Settings and add your EBT card as a payment option.
- Next, the Place Order page will show a breakdown of the charges that will be applied to your EBT card and your second payment method. You can also change the amount of your EBT payment if you like. After you’ve confirmed your payment options, click the Place Order button.
- You may need to pay a delivery fee for orders under $35. Except for same-day delivery orders of $35 or more, which start at $3.99, there is no delivery charge on orders over $35.
- You must enter your 4-digit EBT PIN after placing your order to complete the transaction. Pay for the portion of your order that is not SNAP-eligible using the second payment method.
- A personal shopper will do the shopping for you. Once your order has been picked up and packed, you will be notified through the Instacart app or a text message that your order is out for delivery.
- Delivery personnel will deliver your order to your delivery address within your chosen timeframe. Keep an eye out for any delivery-related calls or messages.
If you have any queries or need additional information, go to the Instacart Help Center.
In A Nutshell
Piggly Wiggly accepts EBT payments for in-store purchases in participating stores in the United States. Since Piggly Wiggly stores are privately owned and run, each location must receive USDA approval to become an authorized EBT retailer. Piggly Wiggly also accepts SNAP EBT for online delivery orders via Instacart at selected stores in Georgia and North Carolina.
A SNAP-authorized Piggly Wiggly store must adhere to all USDA limitations pertaining to EBT purchases. You can use your SNAP benefits to purchase a wide selection of delicious and nutritious foods at Piggly Wiggly, with the exception of a few limited food products that are not SNAP eligible.